Strong
So here I am
After a couple weeks
Bloodied and confused,
Crawling at your feet
You ask me
Why it took so long
And choking on my tears, I say
“I am strong.”
All you do is laugh,
Pointing at me on the floor
If I’m so strong
Why’d I show up at your door?
Look at me now, I can’t even stand up
Much less stand up to you
And as I force myself to my knees
You can’t help but smile
Voice thick with sarcasm
You tell me to go ahead and leave
And even though I’m shaking
From all the strength this is taking
I rise to my feet unsteadily
Bracing myself readily
For you to push me down again
Kick me so I scream in pain
And tell me I deserve it
I take my first step
Stumbling, literally crumbling
Right before your eyes
You watch my laboured steps for a while
You’re still wearing that smug smile
Every step I take, the stronger I get
I will not break, I will not forget
And with everything I have in me
I raise my hand to your face
Your eyes are full of disbelief
When it lands with grace
I stroke your cheek
With gentle hands
And the words I speak
Could heal any man
“I forgive you.”
Forgive you for the pain you’ve caused
Broken skin, broken bones, broken spirits
So now I take this moment to pause
And tell you, even if you don’t want to hear it
I’ve come back for just one reason
To say, any amount of pain you inflict
Won’t be enough to stop this treason
You can punch, beat, push or kick
Kick and scream
No longer will I back down
No longer will I only dream
No longer will I drown
In misery.
I am Woman, and I am Strong.




0 comments:
Post a Comment